Wine and Port

2001 Wine and Port

2001 Wine Vintage Report

2001 Vintage Port :

The 2001 Port Vintage was a good one, yielding dark and well structured wines. While not generally declared, coming directly after the 2000 vintage, this was an excellent one nevertheless. Some outstanding Single Quinta wines were produced. One of the wettest winters on record was followed by a moderately hot summer with light winds, which helped prevent disease. Harvest started at Quinta de Vargellas on September 17th and on the 20th in the Pinhao Valley, so rain on the 29th and again on the 5th of October affected only the tail end of the vintage. All in all, yields were up almost 30% over the preceding year. David Guimaraens, Head Winemaker at Taylor's, Fonseca and Croft and the sixth generation of his family to make wines for Fonseca, wrote: “This year is certainly distinguished by being a year of larger production with a consistently high overall quality, as has not been seen since 1995.”

2001 Italian :

The 2001 Italian vintage caps off a remarkable string of outstanding vintages for Piedmont that began in 1996. During that relatively brief time period producers gained a great deal of knowledge and experience, both in the vineyard and in the cellar, a positive trend which continues today. In addition, 2001 featured the growing conditions in which Nebbiolo thrives: hot daytime temperatures alternating with cool nights. The favourable weather, along with producers' newfound sense of maturity, combined to produce an extraordinary set of wines. Simply put, for Barolo, 2001 is the most complete of the vintages between 1996 and 2001. These would make an excellent 20 year old wine gift for a birthday or anniversary celebration, and will keep well for years to come.

2001 Bordeaux :

This vintage is characterised by wines that are in a classic style, with high tannic qualities and with fresh acidity and medium body. The weather throughout the growing season was cool and cloudy. A mostly dry September and October allowed the late harvest of a large crop. The wines will be relatively slow to evolve given the relatively good acid and tannin levels.

Learn more »

2001 2001 Chateau Grand Puy Ducasse

A beautifully matured 2001 wine from Bordeaux.

From the outstanding 2001 vintage, the Grand Puy Ducasse is beautifully mature and in its drinking window.
Read More >>>

Price: £59.95View details »

2001 Bahans Haut Brion

Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar
Good medium ruby-red. Expressive nose combines red cherry, raspberry, minerals and flowers. Minerally and firm, with sound acids giving the flavors good definition.
Read More >>>

Price: £99.00View details »

2001 Brinsidi Rosso

Read More >>>

Price: £39.00View details »

2001 Carema

Carema is a red winemaking zone and boasts the king of Italian red grapes, Nebbiolo, as its leading varietal. The wine must comprise 85% of this variety, the remainder made up of a maximum 15% of authorized Piedmont red grapes.
Read More >>>

Price: £59.00View details »

2001 Chateau Branaire-Ducru

A 2001 vintage Bordeaux wine. "First tasted in May 2002 out of barrel when it displayed a lush, spicy, ripe nose with a tang of orange peel. Another fine bottle in November 2003: a dense ripe nose with a touch of orange peel and anis.
Read More >>>

Price: £79.95View details »

2001 Chateau Caronne St Gemme

The 2001 Caronne is a very impressive rustic style classic claret. it boasts a moderate peppery nose. Very tannic with spicy black fruits. Impressive on the palate with well-balanced with raspberry and a touch of black pepper and burnt toast.
Read More >>>

Price: £38.95View details »

2001 Chateau Cos d'Estournel

A 2001 vintage Bordeaux wine.
*** 93 Points Robert Parker ***

A beautiful effort, the 2001 Cos d’Estournel (65% Cabernet Sauvignon and 35% Merlot) exhibits a poised, noble bouquet of black currants, cedar, spice box, and liquorice.
Read More >>>

Price: £129.00View details »

2001 Chateau de Fieuzal

The 2001 Chateau de Fieuzal Blanc is an interesting example of an aged white Bordeaux - In the bouquet yellow tropical fruits, vanilla, some nuts and smoky flavors.
Read More >>>

Price: £44.97View details »

2001 Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou

A 2001 Bordeaux wine from Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou.

A quintessentially elegant effort, the 2001 offers notes of liquified minerals intermixed with raspberries and a hint of vanilla.
Read More >>>

Price: £169.00View details »